My mom's version of minestrone soup, made with things you already have in your pantry or freezer. This is a hearty soup that can easily stand in as dinner, and has a vegetarian/vegan option.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes or whole peeled tomatoes that you dice
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 15 oz cans low-sodium chicken broth (can substitute vegetable broth or water)
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 2 cup small pasta, cooked (small shells, elbow macaroni, ditalini, or anything else you have)
- salt and pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese (omit if making vegan version, or sub with vegan parmesan)
Place a 5-6 quart pot over medium heat, and add the olive oil, heating for about 1 minute. Add the onions, and saute for 1-2 minutes.
Add the garlic, tomatoes, chickpeas, kidney beans, and chicken broth (or vegetable broth/water). Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
Add the spinach, still frozen, and bring back to a simmer. Add pasta and simmer for another 5 minutes until flavors come together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in bowls, garnished with parmesan cheese.