Did I grab your attention with that title or what? In the case of a recipe title, more is more, so I went for it. You may not even need to keep reading to get to the recipe, but I would appreciate if you would.
These tasty bites went over pretty well at a party this weekend. I was inspired by my love of salami, olives, and cheese of all kinds; in fact, it was practically impossible to choose which varieties of each to include on my toothpicks. I lusted over the cheese display at the grocery store, resisting the urge to impulse-buy 10 different types. While most skewers of this type rely on bocconcini, those adorable little mozzarella balls, I wanted something with a little more flavor. I picked up provolone, then made my way to the olive case for another grueling few minutes of careful selection. Have you ever seen me try to choose only ONE kind of olive to take home? It was one of the hardest things I did all week. Ugh. I still run through the “what ifs” now three days out from this magical appetizer-making–would a marinated Spanish olive have been the better choice? We may never know. What we do know is that the combo I did make was tasty, and that’s why you should make it, too.
I recommend this appetizer for any type of party; outdoor summer parties, book club, and even a fancy game-day party. You can customize the flavors to your liking by switching up the types of cheese, olives, and salami or other cured meat. I bet a cheese-stuffed olive would even taste great. Whatever you choose to make, make sure to tag @whitecoatpinkapron on Instagram so I can see what you’ve been up to. Happy snacking!
- 25 thin slices of salami, approximately 5 oz (I used Calabrese)
- 25 Castelvetrano olives, pitted
- 25 ~1cm cubes of provolone cheese, approximately 8 oz
- Decorative toothpicks
- Skewer one olive onto a toothpick.
- Fold a piece of salami into quarters, and then skewer it below the olive.
- Lastly, skewer the cube of cheese, being careful not to pierce through the bottom. Stand each toothpick upright on the platter.
- Repeat until you have used up all of the ingredients.