As the days get shorter, so does my patience for making complicated meals. I’m kind of sick of cooking. When the sun sets at 4:45 PM, and I haven’t even gotten home from work, my laziness gets the better of me. What’s the solution? The Instant Pot, of course. More specifically, Instant Pot Chicken with Mushrooms, Leeks, and Artichokes.
This meal cooks up entirely in the Instant Pot, has just enough ingredients to seem complex, but few enough ingredients to be really easy. You could leave one of the veggies out without missing out on too much. You could add some seasonings, if you’d like, to change the flavor. Big family? Double the amount. And, you can cook the starch of your choice to serve alongside the chicken while the Instant Pot is going. You could make this for company, and I’m pretty sure you’d impress them. You can also cook it for your picky toddler, and he would also like it (fact: mine did).
This recipe is gluten-free (if you use GF chicken broth, which I did). It’s dairy-free, too. It’s actually top 8 allergen-free (again, make sure your chicken broth is free of all allergens if this is important to you). Pretty sweet, huh?
Don’t like mushrooms? Or artichokes? Or leeks? Here are some good substitutions:
- Onions instead of leeks.
- Any type of mushroom instead of cremini. Trader Joe’s sells frozen porcini mushrooms. That sounds pretty good.
- Want to add something else? Carrots, kale, spinach, or peas could all be added in.
- Want some herbs? Rosemary, thyme, and sage would be good options.
- Want a tomato-flavored sauce? Add some grape or cherry tomatoes in before it cooks. Or, add a few teaspoons of tomato paste. Yummmm.
Instant Pot Chicken with Mushrooms, Leeks, and Artichokes
- 1.5 lb bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 4)
- 10 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced (it does not matter how thick the slices are, as long as they are all relatively uniform in thickness)
- 1 big leek white and very light green parts, only, cleaned well and sliced thinly into half-moons.
- 2 big cloves of garlic sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 can low sodium, gluten-free, soy-free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can artichoke hearts quartered and drained
- 1-2 tsp capers optional
- salt and pepper
- Instant Pot or other electronic pressure cooker
Set your Instant Pot to saute mode (high).
Add the oil, heat for 1 minute, and then add the chicken skin side down. Brown for about 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms, leeks, garlic, and chicken broth. Seal the pot, and cook on manual mode for 15 minutes at high pressure.
Carefully use manual release to release the pressure.
Remove the chicken to a plate, leaving the liquid and vegetables in the pot.
In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water.
Set the Instant Pot back to saute mode, and pour the cornstarch mixture into the remaining liquid and vegetables. Stir to incorporate it, and cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens. You can make more of the cornstarch mixture and add that in if you prefer a thicker sauce.
Add the artichoke hearts.
Optional: add capers into the sauce.
Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve the chicken with the veggies and sauce on its own, or over the starch of your choice. I liked this with mashed potatoes, but rice, pasta, and quinoa would all be great options.
Before making this dish, please read your Instant Pot manual carefully! Do not use your Instant Pot unless you know what you're doing.