It’s no surprise to anyone, but I really love having free weekends! Today started out with church, followed by dinner (read: very large lunch) at my aunt and uncle’s house with the family. One of the highlights of this dinner was a puff pastry Armenian appetizer stuffed with cheese (see below), which I will get the recipe for and share with you later.
- Olive oil can be substituted with any flavorless oil or butter.
- Onion can be substituted with shallot, leek, or other types of onion.
- Chicken broth can be substituted with vegetable broth, beef broth, or water with 2 bouillon cubes. I would be careful about adding salt, though, because different broths can be saltier or less salty.
- Carrots, garlic, bay leaf, paprika, cayenne, or parsley can be omitted or increased in amount (though I would not recommend omitting all of them at the same time, or the soup will have no flavor).
- Celery can be added during the sauté stage.
- Raw diced white, red, or yukon gold potatoes (1 med-large potato) can be added with the lentils. I didn’t have any today, but I usually add these.
- Fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) spinach can be added.
- Cooked bacon can be added at the end
- Any spice or herb you can imagine could be added! Experiment and see what you like.